Vintage Handkerchief Banner

 

Well I have been collecting these vintage hankies for quite some time.  Not really sure what to do with them.  My daughter is about to turn five, so I was thinking a party banner.  Looking around I saw these vintage delights and thought now that would be pretty. So the first thing you need for this project is to iron your hankies because if you have been storing them for a time they will be wrinkled.
 
 
After they are all ironed, you can decide which ones to use.  The fun part of mixing and matching them. Also at this time decide what you would like to use to connect them all.  For this project I used lace.  But twill twine or bias tape will also work.
 
 
Once you have decided how and where to put them, then we move onto space or no space.  I decided to not leave a space between the hankies.  I started with about 12 inches of lace on the end and started to sew.  Clementine was quite happy to be put to work, my sweet little sewing machine.
 
 
I used a zigzag stitch for the lace.  If you were using bias tape, I would not use a zigzag stitch.  Make sure your hankies are brightest side down. So all the bright sides will be together.  Hankies usually are faded on one side. Sew them all together and then leave another 12 inches or so on the end to tie them up. And there you have it.
 
A perfect party banner.  They also look beautiful outside.  So if you are feeling a little crafty today, happy sewing. Enjoy your prayer flags in the wind. 

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, it was so much fun to make. Now its in Josie's room. She calls it her banner.

      Delete

Post a Comment