Lavender Grapefruit Multi-Purpose Cleaner


Hello Hello + Today I would like to share my latest recipe for an all-purpose cleaner.  Over the past few years, I have quit buying cleaners.  First off most of them are very harmful to us, our children, and our pets. Also we don't need a different cleaner for every little thing.  The good news is vinegar is amazing and very cheap.  Plain ol' white vinegar.  Something I recently started doing, is infusing my vinegar. And most of the ingredients for infusing are kitchen scraps as well.



Can you believe it!!! That is mint out of my garden, spring is so early this year.  Any sort of citrus peal is good for infusing, I love grapefruit personally, crazy about the smell, and it produces the most beautiful rosy color.  Simply cut the peel into strips, and place in a clean glass jar, along with some mint, rosemary, or thyme.  Fresh preferably. There are so many combinations, once you start making these vinegars, so many ideas will come to you.  But here are a few nice combinations:

Grapefruit + Lavender
Orange + Clove + Cinnamon
Lemon + Basil + Thyme
Grapefruit + Sage + Wild Rose Buds

My corner of Montana is full of wild roses, I love to create all kinds of lovely with the buds, flowers, and hips.  So as soon as they are ready, I'm going to try infusing them. Pretty much any herb you have growing can be used. Once you have your ingredients in the jar. I would use about a 1/2 cup of ingredients in a 16 ounce jar.  More or less would work too, depending on what you want.  Its time to fill your jar.


Now its time to place it in a sunny window, for a while.  Again the time is up to you.  I like to shoot for about two weeks, but up to a month is fine. Once you start making it, you will get your timing down. And your next batch will be ready by the time you need it.  Its vinegar, so its not going to go bad.


Don't forget to shake them every few days. The pink one is ready to strain, and the orange mint will stay there until I'm ready to use it, in a few weeks.


Strain, and pour into a spray bottle.  Generally the ratio is 1 to 4.  1 being vinegar 4 being water. I usually add more vinegar, then just add water as I clean.  You may be a by the book person, I am not so much.

2 Cups Water
3/4 Cup Infused Vinegar
Spray Bottle


Wash out an old cleaning bottle, and use that. Its even fun to get some cute labels too.  Make two bottles at a time, and give one away, along with the recipe.  We no longer need clorox.  Please don't EVER use febreeze, its extremely toxic. I use this cleaner for everything.  Windows, Counter tops, Stovetop, Dusting, Bathroom even the toilet.  The bathtub however requires a little baking soda along with this spray. These herbs have antibacterial and anti fungal properties. Its about that time, spring cleaning time, give this a try.  You will love it, and you won't go back.  Another recycling tip is to cut up old clothes that you no longer want, and use them as cleaning rags.  Just throw them away when your done.  If you need an apron to go with that cleaning, check out my Etsy Shop, I'm also on Amazon.  You can follow me on Instagram or Facebook. Anyway I wish you all a very productive happy day, namaste.



Comments

  1. I love the tips and ideas! Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Dacia, thanks, going to try this when I use up what I have now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making some today...you rock Miss Dacia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this! I'm going crazy with it and experimenting with parsley/mint :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay that is so exciting + I love parsley too, haven't tried it in the vinegar yet, but may have too.

      Delete
  5. I love your tips, im going to try them. I dread household cleaners. and thank you for saying febreeze is toxic! I seriously don't know how anyone could spray that stuff in their home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much + Always happy to share when I come across something that works well, and is non toxic.

      Delete
  6. AWESOME!!! One of your best posts ever! I'm gonna have to try this. I have to say, I'm a little confused... so vinegar and water with the grapefruit and mint and then add more water in the spray bottle or just straight vinegar with the grapefruit in the window and then add water?? What is the essential oil for? I HAVE TO TELL READERS DACIA has the cleanest house of anyone you ever met! If it works there, your house can smell amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well its one part vinegar three parts water, to be exact. However I am not exact, I usually start out about half and half. Then add a little more water, as I use it up. Essential oils all have many different properties, like take peppermint for instance, spiders hate peppermint. Its refreshing, and awakening. Plus they just smell fabulous. It would be good to research a few essential oils, and decide what ones are best for you, and your home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment