Canning the Harvest

 
Hello everyone, as the season is quickly passing us, I though I would reflect on what a beautiful summer this has been.  I was able to spend a lot of time at the local farmers market, selling my creations.  About the second week in August, the most beautiful pickling cukes began to show up for trade or purchase.  I did manage to grow some of my own, but not enough to can.  The garden tends to be a little neglected around here, from time to time.  So with some of my own, some from the farmers market in Eureka, and some purchased from The Apple Barrel, in Kalispell http://www.applebarrelmt.com/  I was able to come up with enough cukes to make pickles.  Bread and Butter Pickles are my daughters favorite.  So that's what I made.  Recipes are everywhere, these days.  I found one online and doubled the recipe.
8# Pickling Cucumbers
4# Onions (I used red and walla walla)
2/3 Cup Sea Salt
3 Cups white vinegar
3 Cups Apple Cider Vinegar
4 Cups sugar
4 T Mustard
4 t turmeric
4 t Celery Seed
2 t ginger
2 t peppercorn
This made exactly eight quarts.
Now for the first step of slicing everything, put on some great music and find your zen spot.  When we create food in peace, those take in peace while eating and enjoying the food.  This can take a while, but its very relaxing and also connects us to our inner farmgirl.  Wear a really cute apron too of course.  I have a really large bowl, you could use two or three bowls if you don't have one big enough.  I layered the cucumbers and onions, and sprinkled with the sea salt.  I then went on a walk, as this salt needs to stay on the cucumbers for at least an hour.
 
 
Next step is to rinse the cucumbers, rinse drain, rinse drain.  Then I put the bowl aside and start up the water bath canner, and another large pot for sterilizing the jars, and lids.  While that is all going, I get out yet another pot and put all of the vinegars, sugar, and spices in, and bring to a boil, let simmer, stir often.  I then pour that mixture over the cucumber in the big bowl.  Crank the heat on that canner because it won't be long now.  Sterilize a few jars at a time, and get them ready to fill.  Don't do them all at once, because you want them to stay really warm.  Then its time to fill them.
 
 
Make sure to wipe the rims, and leave 1/4 inch head space.  Place hot lids, and screw down bands.  Not too tight.  Place in the boiling water bath, with two inches of water coving them.  Wait until its boiling, then start your time.  For where I am located, my process time was 15 minutes.  Again the internet is so full of information, you can easily access your water bath time.  Altitude does make a difference while canning.  Another great site for info is http://www.simplycanning.com/.  I found this site very helpful.  But again there are many out there.
 
 
And here they are ready to go into the canner.  After the process time I slowly take them out and let them cool completely.  I love to hear the "ting" its your time and effort working.  Such gratification, processing your own food is.  There you have it, so go out there and make a batch of something.  Think of how lovely these will be in the middle of winter. A little reminder of  sweet summertime. Gifts too, they look great in a gift basket.
 
 
 

Comments