Lavender Sachet


Hello ~ Its a new year, time for some new ideas and projects I do believe.  Sachets are so easy peasy to create, and can really consist of anything.  Make them as gifts, for yourself, or both.  The possibilities are endless, I prefer vintage notions and fabrics. 
 

So the first step in this project is to create your pattern ~ again any size you like will work.  I like to have quite a bit of fabric to work with, so my pattern size was a rectangle 6 inches long by 8 inches wide.  That is the size for the outer bag.  There is also a smaller square bag that gets sewn inside the outer bag.  That is a 5.5 inch square inner bag.  I cut out several at a time ~ I mean really why make just one.
 

So this is just a reminder ~ really important to decorate your bags before you sew them together.  The outer bags, that is.  I love lace, buttons, and vintage ric rac.  I made mine really girlie ~ Its so nice to open up your drawer smell the loveliness, and see something really pretty. 
 

I also like to sew old small dollies on these sachets ~ oh so pretty.  But really just be creative and use whatever you have lying around your crafty area. Place the outer pieces right side in and sew three of the sides together ~ then turn  them right side out.


Time to sew the inner bags ~ for this fabric I just used a simple cotton white fabric.  Good for lining something. Again sew just three sides because you are going to be filling them with lavender ~ or your choice of dried sweet smelling goodness.


 
Time to fill your bags ~ and sew them up.  Now let me share a little secret, lavender is oh so expensive if you purchase it from a health food store or specialty shop.  https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/category  or http://glorybee.com/ are great sites to purchase bulk lavender.  Because chances are you are going to making more than one sachet. Place the smaller sewn up tight bag inside the larger beautiful bag.  Fold raw edge in ~ iron if you like ~ and sew it all up!


Now they are finished ~ Such lovely little gifts.  Perfect for any occasion throughout the year ~ and we have many good ones ahead of us.  Have a very blessed year, I wish us all a surplus of creativity.  If you are interested is seeing more of what I do, please stop by my website. http://www.simplyjosephine.com/ 


Comments