Shea Buttery Clove Lip Balm

 
Do you LOVE lip balms..........me too!  Always on the look out for really good ones.  Well why not make it, that is what I am sharing with you today.  I partook in a craft faire with my Stepmom last fall, crazy fun I must say. She makes good stuff too.  Anyway I loved her lip balm, and its always nice to have stocking stuffers available for purchase, at these events.  What a nice addition to Simply Josephine.  Loving these sunny winter days, creating nice little human treats.
 
 
I am also very much in LOVE with essential oils, so choosing the right one was a little difficult.  I finally went with clove, because of its earthy rich spicy scent.  Plus it seems a little edible.  For all you kissers out there!
 
 
Coming up with the ingredients, was fairly simply for me.  I make and have made all kinds of balms, lotions, and potions over the years.  I knew that I wanted to have shea butter a key ingredient.  Shea butter is an off- white or ivory-colored fat extracted from the nut of the African shea tree.  Its really lovely, and your skin just soaks it up.....yum.  Plus the local honey and beeswax we have available is fabulous.  Ingredients:
 
1 ounce Shea Butter
1/2 ounce Coconut Oil
1 ounce Beeswax ~ Best quality you can find
1/2 teaspoon Honey
2 ounces Avocado Oil
Essential Oil
 
 
The recipe is for quite a bit of lip balm, I made twice as much.  But I am going to be selling mine. Use this amount, maybe if you wanted to make Christmas gifts, or if you are hosting a party or shower.  All I can say is this, if you buy tubes to fill.  You MUST buy a filling tray too.  Otherwise you will make the biggest mess ever.  There will be more lip balm all over the sides and counter then in the tubes. Time to get this started! Yay!


Measure everything out, again you can eyeball it.  But a scale makes things much easier, go ahead buy yourself one.  Its a tool.  I place all of the  solid ingredients in a pot, on low heat.  Super low.  Stirring quite a bit. Melting all of the coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax together.


Then I add the avocado oil and honey after the solids have melted.  Essential oil added last.  Stir stir stir, that shea butter can be funny sometimes.  Then I simply pour the combined oils and wax back into the measuring cup.  Start filling tubes.

 
Like I said, the tray really helps.  Plus it keeps everything really clean.  We must keep those germaphobes happy, they seem to be everywhere these days.  Me personally I think we need germs to keep our immune system up to par.  But whatever side of the fence your on, its all good.
 
 
Let the oils cool completely, then pull the tubes out. And Ta ~ Da you have yourself some lip balm.  I have been using mine, and its really nice.  Chapped seems to be what's going on these days.  Its March in Montana, cold cold cold.  So just a quick tip, vista print is a great place to print labels.  If you want to go that far.  Say you are making these for a bridal shower gift, you could print the event and date.  Vista print is super user friendly.  And the possibilities are endless.  Say what ever you want.
 
 
Well I do believe that its time to wrap this up, I hope you find this informative.  I sure enjoyed documenting the whole process.  If you find that you would rather just order this, its available in my etsy shop.  https://www.etsy.com/listing/224964040/shea-buttery-clove-lip-balm I wish you all the best of balms, however you obtain them.  Have a fabulous day, Namaste.
 
 

 

Comments