Healing Comfrey Salve


I am so happy to be sharing this with you, yesterday it all came together.  My healing comfrey salve was created and it is available.  In this post I will go over the step by step process, in case you want to make your own, or see how my products are made.  I personally have always liked having comfrey salve on hand.  Its a great all around healer for anything chapped, dry, or irritated.  Perfect for diper rash, and also a great eye make up remover.  I do always try to wildcraft or grow my own plant medicine.  So the comfrey I used was growing in my garden, completely wild, and chemical free.  Comfrey is one of those plants that continues to get bigger every year, it can overtake an area.  It should be fairly easy to find, otherwise you can always purchase dried herbs.  Azure it a great source through the mail, or locally there is Heavens Peak Organics.  


 Solar infusion is the process I use for obtaining all of the medicinal properties of the plants.  Its quite simple really, place herbs in a jar, add oil, cover with something so it can breath, and place in a sunny window.  Its best to let it sit in that window at least a month. But up to two months is fine.  I usually like to strain off the oil, and make the salve during a full moon, but that didn't come together for me this time.  The full moon has such a draw or pull on things, the oil is at its peak during this time.  But if it doesn't line up, it doesn't line up.  I needed to get a batch made regardless of the moon.  Love you moon, maybe next time.  The point is its all going to be healing and beneficial.  


 Comfrey + Chamomile + Lavender + Calendula + Plantain
In Olive Oil


And there it sat for a month, in my south facing window.


To strain the oil, I use a cheesecloth.  It really helps to get every little piece of herb out.  I of course made a huge batch, but the basic recipe goes as follows:

1 Cup Oil
1 Ounce Beeswax
Essential Oil

The essential oil is always a personal preference thing.  As much or as little as you like.  I use lavender essential oil in this salve.  It goes well, and adds to the healing.  After the oil is strained I start heating it on low heat.  I place the beeswax in a separate pan, and melt that on low at the same time. Its good to keep everything on low, if the oils or waxes get too hot, it won't turn out right.  Make sure you have enough time to allow this to happen, its kind of like making bread, you can't rush the process.



Don't boil the oil.  Once the wax is melted and the oils are hot, I place them both into the kitchen aid.  Then I let it mix away for several minutes.  If your batch is smaller, you can mix by hand, just fine.  I let in mix about 20 - 30 minutes.  Then I add any other additives and or essential oil.



Pour into your jars, and let it cool slowly.  These sat for a few hours before I capped them for storage.  Store in a cool dark place.  Ta ~ Da there it is.  I absolutely LOVE this salve, its so versatile.  



When I was in high school, my mom and I attended an herbal workshop.  During that workshop we made a salve, that was my introduction to salvemaking.  A few years later my neighbor a very wise woman, made salves, and I helped her. She also taught me how to hang clothes properly on a line.  Thank you Val!  Then a few years after that I had my first child, a boy.  He had a little diaper rash, and I quickly went to the health food store, looked at what they had to offer, and thought hell I can make this stuff.  And this very salve was born.  I have been making it ever since, he is now 12.  If you have ever wanted to make your own balms, I encourage you to.  Its very connecting to your witch doctor DNA.  Otherwise you can purchase it straight from me, simplyjosephine.com.  If you would like my posts delivered right to you inbox, its easy to Subscribe.  You can also follow me on Instagram or Facebook.  May you have a happy happy day. Namaste






Comments

Post a Comment