Cashew Coconut Chocolate Bark


Hello There ~ I hope everyone had a fabulous fall!! I sure did, but for our little corner of Montana, winter has arrive.  Winter has so many lovely things to offer.  One for me is baking, I love to create little treats for everyone.  My children especially love chocolate bark.  The fun thing about bark is you can pretty much put anything you love in it.  This recipe I'm sharing today is just the last batch of bark I made, and its constantly changing by what I have available.
 

Haha ~ I can't believe that I'm sharing the fact, that I LOVE starving family chocolate chips, but I do.  They are way cheaper, and I like them much better.  So there you have it, starving family does make something better.  I avoid all their other products, at all costs.  It is so simple to make bark, this is all of the ingredients.  Coconut oil, nuts (your choice), real coconut flakes, chia seeds, and chocolate.  I'm going to talk a little about chia seeds, they are just damn good for you. Loaded with omega 3s, omega 6s, fiber, protein, calcium, and iron.  I try to get at least 1 tablespoon a day, but one should really shoot for two.  So I started adding them to the bark, and voila!!!


I turn the oven on, for toasting the nuts and coconut, not to hot though, like say 325.  I put a very generous blob of coconut oil in the pan and place it in the oven to melt.  Meanwhile I chop the nuts, then add them to the pan, and put in oven.  I start with the nuts, because coconut toasts very fast.  Leave then in there 15 or so minutes.  Then I add the coconut, and check very often.
 
 
I pull the pan out and stir them quite a few times, making sure the coconut doesn't get too toasty.  It only takes about 10 minutes.  Meanwhile I start melting the chocolate, I add another big blob of coconut oil to that.
 
 
Often fancy ass recipes will call for a double boiler, to melt the chocolate.  However low on the stove works too, especially if you add something to the chocolate.  And here we did.  Once you pull the toasty goodness from the oven, set it aside, finish melting the chocolate.  Then I slowly add the melted chocolate to the pan.  Its an oily goo of pure delight.
 
 
Add a tablespoon or two or three of chia seeds, to the coconut, nut mixture.
 
 
One bag of chips, will cover everything nicely.  Then I add the most important ingredient......sea salt.  I sprinkle a lot of it on too.  Then I let the pan just sit there cooling.  Once it has cooled completely I put the whole pan in the fridge.  Then after a few hours I chip the bark out of the pan with a knife and spatula.  Then I wrap it in wax paper and a plastic bag.  Store in the fridge.  Crazy damn good, is all I can say about this.
 
 
Need an apron for your next project.....Check out the latest and greatest available in my shop Etsy Shop ~ MadebyDacia.  Also a great way to stay connected is through my facebook page, Simply Josephine.  Well I guess that brings us to a close, I'll be posting more of my winter adventures. Have a beautiful day.  Namaste.


Comments