Lilac Love


Did you know that lilacs are edible?  They sure are, a member of the olive family, you can eat the blossoms. They are however a little on the bitter side.  This spring I was able to spend some time with them, and this is what I have come up with.  I'm sharing all of my favorite things to do with lilacs, in this post.  How lovely they attract pollinators to the garden, and provide for us as well.  Not to mention how beautiful they are.  Every morning, the first thing I do is make my infused water for the day.  Because its good to start your day with water, you drink more water when it is beautiful, and it is nourishing.  My family calls it hippie water.


I cut the lemon in half, slice half, and juice half.  Pour the juice in bottom of the glass.  Citrus is always a good bass, plus lemon water is cleansing to our liver.  We could all use that, right?  But feel free to experiment with orange, or lime.  I do often.  Next up from there is the fruit, or in this case blossom. The last ingredient is the herb, I used lemon balm.  It was growing so beautifully in the garden, so that is what I used.  But mint, basil, and parsley are good alternatives as well.  Lemon balm is very calming to our system, you can read more about it here lemon balm.


2 lilac blossoms

1 lemon

3 springs of lemon balm


Next up is lilac honey.......so divine.  And again it looks beautiful.  Plus it will make nice gifts, Mother's Day is coming up.  A little basket of infused honey, tea, mug, and tea towel would be lovely.  The honey is the easiest thing ever!!!!  Fill a jar with clean flowers, and pour the honey over it.  No need to strain, the honey preserves the flowers nicely.  It looks beautiful, and its easy to push them aside as you get the honey out.  I just had a rooibos red chai, Republic of Tea brand.  With infused honey, and home made whipped cream.  Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top, its a complete dessert.


The last little project I did was lilac flower water, combined with witch hazel, for a fabulous facial mist.  


I filled a jar with fresh lilacs, filled it full.  Then I poured spring water on top, and placed a plate on it.  Set it in the sun for two days.  I also tasted this water, crazy good.  Your body just soaks it up.  After the two day period, I'm sure one would be sufficient, I just had a day get away from me. Pour about 3/4 of the spray bottle with the lilac water.


I was able to find a lilac witch hazel Humphrey's brand, but any witch hazel will do.  I purchased mine through Azure, but I'm sure its easy to find through other sources.  Then I poured 1/4 of the spray bottle with the witch hazel.


3/4 spray bottle lilac infused water
1/4 spray bottle witch hazel

This spray is so nice, complete spring love in a bottle, on your face.  I usually use this type of product, on my face in the morning and night after washing, before moisturizer.  But all skin types are different, just play around with it, and find what works for you.  This spring we are having is amazing, and lilacs are full bloom, here in our corner of Montana.  The smell is wonderful, always nice to pick a bouquet too.  If you would like to stay connected, and have my blog posts, sales and events, delivered right to your inbox, you can Subscribe Here.  Otherwise follow me on Instagram or Facebook.  Happy Spring ~ Dacia




Comments

  1. Beautiful Dacia! I love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is lovely! going to try these too. The pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I loved taking these pictures. Such a beautiful flower.

      Delete
  3. Wow! What an informative and beautiful post! Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had so much fun with this post, and the photos too. Thanks

      Delete
  4. Wow! What an informative and beautiful post! Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are so so welcome ~ green blessings are everywhere

      Delete
  5. Love this, Dacia! I have a bush that we had to relocate, so it took a few years to begin blooming again. Last summer it was beautiful, so I'm looking forward to taking advantage of your wonderful ideas this spring. I don't know how I missed this blog before, but thank you for all the excellent earth-mother advice you share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much seanne. this is one of my all time favorite posts. i am dreaming of spring today, as it continues to snow haha.

      Delete

Post a Comment